The speaker drivers in the Focal Flax Evo PS 165 FXE kit guarantee an easy installation and pure in-car listening pleasure. Combining the best of Flax technology with the latest Focal innovations, they offer one of the most natural sounds.
The TMD (Tuned Mass Damper) surround incorporated in the woofers stabilises the surround to achieve better control and greater neutrality and linearity, for an even denser bass. The central ogive cone, meanwhile, contributes to better sound dispersion.
The ‘M’-profile inverted dome TAM tweeters included in the kit offer a wider diffusion angle and greater sound definition, without directionality. Thanks to their tilted mounting, they are easy to install in the vehicle. A compact and pre-cabled audiophile crossover completes the kit. Finally, with its engraved aluminium basket and meticulous finishes, PS 165 FXE combines style, discretion and modernity for a premium system.
The Flax Cone, Expressive and Natural
This flax cone has been exclusively made in France by Focal since 2013. With its original design, it is 100% geared towards acoustic performance. This sandwich cone is formed of a flax fibre core placed between two thin sheets of glass fibre.
Flax is a fibre with the unique ability to reproduce a very natural sound without colouration, with a rich reproduction in the midrange and clear bass strokes. Its lightness offers great dynamics, while its rigidity sustains the bass and provides good damping to deliver a faithful listening experience.
Flax fibre is twice as light as glass fibre as it is hollow. Its very low elasticity makes it ideal for increasing the flexural rigidity module of a sandwich structure.
The TAM Tweeter
Made in France in the Focal workshops, the TAM tweeter stands out for its many qualities, particularly in terms of wide-angle diffusion, beneficial for in-car environments characterised by “off-axis” listening. Comprising a cone that is an aluminium/magnesium ‘M’-profile inverted dome, this tweeter unites an impressive array of cutting-edge Focal technologies to reproduce a faultless harmonic balance and highly-detailed treble.
The TMD Surround
A patented Focal technology, the TMD surround makes an appearance on all speaker drivers in the Flax Evo line, playing a key role in the reproduction and purity of the midranges as well as in the elimination of acoustic distortion, particularly when listening at high volumes.
- Unique, patented Flax cone
- Butyl surround with exclusive 'TMD’ profile
- Al/Mg ‘M’-profile inverted dome TAM tweeter
- Bi-amplifier system
- Made in France in the Focal workshops
- High power handling
- Deep, sustained bass
- Wider diffusion angle
- Natural, precise sound
- Easy installation
What's in the Box?
- Two PS 165 FXE woofers
- Two TWFA1018 inverted dome tweeters (each has a 21" length of speaker wire attached)
- 2 Crossover networks
- 2 Woofer grilles
- 2 Woofer grille mounting rings
- 2 Tweeter grilles (installed)
- 2 Tweeter trim rings (installed)
- 2 OEM tweeter mounting rings
- 2 Tweeter angle mount cups
- 2 Woofer mounting gaskets
- 8 Speed clips
- Four 3/4" Screws
- Eight 1" Screws
- Owner's manual
- Woofer Diameter: 6 1/2" (165mm)
- Voice-coil diameter: 1 1/4" (32mm)
- Magnet: Ferrite
- Tweeter: TAM tweeter (Aluminium/Magnesium ‘M’-profile inverted dome tweeter)
- Separate crossover: 12-18dB/oct @3kHz
- Adjustable tweeter level: 0 ;-3dB/Oct
- Max. power: 160W
- Nom. power: 80W RMS
- Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 90.5dB
- Frequency response: 55Hz – 28kHz