The JL Audio 12TW1 12 Inch Subwoofer delivers a powerful combination of shallow mounting depth and excursion capability, while operating in insanely small enclosures (0.65 cu.ft. / 18.4 Litres). This, combined with a special cast alloy frame design, makes the 12TW1 capable of operating in extremely tight spaces. These include under-seat installations in trucks, 2-seat sports cars and many other creative applications requiring a compact, low profile subwoofer design.
Design and Technology
JL Audio's patented thin-line woofer technology compresses the architecture of the 12TW1 using a "concentric tube" structure built into the injection-molded cone body. This structure supports the voice coil and a full annular spider, while permitting the placement of a large motor structure further forward in the speaker than with conventional designs.
The 12TW1 also features a clever frame design that minimises the frontal clearance required for the excursion of the driver. This is accomplished by recessing the suspension attachment surface, so that most of the forward excursion occurs within the frame's dimensions. Thanks to this feature, the 12TW1 requires only 0.87 inches (22 mm) of frontal clearance, even with its grille installed. This allows for more efficient use of space and increased enclosure volume within a given overall depth.
Thinline Subwoofer allows for a Smaller Enclosure
Even though the 12TW1 is optimised for an enclosure much smaller than any other JL Audio twelve-inch Subwoofer, it never sounds like a big woofer struggling in a tiny box...instead, it delivers all the rich, deep, controlled bass you have come to expect from a JL Audio subwoofer system.
JL Audio 12TW1 - Product Features
- Very shallow mounting depth (4.62 in / 117 mm)
- No pole vent: permits mounting close to rear wall of enclosure
- Extremely small sealed enclosure volume requirements
- Long linear excursion capability (0.40 in / 10 mm, one-way)
- DMA-optimized motor design
- Patented "concentric tube" architecture
- Patented "floating cone attach method" technology
- Cast alloy frame with flat edges for tight driver grouping
- Injection molded, mica-filled polypropylene cone
- Rubber surround
- Steel mesh grille included with each driver
- Precision-built in USA at JL Audio’s Miramar, Florida factory with global components
|SUBWOOFER||12TW1 - 2 Ohm||12TW1 - 4 Ohm|
|Free Air Resonance (Fs):||35.06 Hz||32.35 Hz|
|Electrical “Q” (Qes):||0.610||0.555|
|Mechanical “Q” (Qms):||10.662||11.066|
|Total Speaker “Q” (Qts):||0.577||0.529|
|Equivalent Compliance (Vas):||28.54 Litres||33.67 Litres|
|One-way, Linear Excursion (Xmax):||10 mm||10 mm|
|Efficiency (1W/1m):||85.07 dB SPL||85.15 dB SPL|
|Effective Piston Area (Sd):||0.0436 m2||0.0436 m2|
|DC Resistance (Re):||2.430 ohm||3.514 ohm|
|Nominal Impedance:||2 ohm||4 ohm|
|Power Handling (continuous):||300 W||300 W|