The output level of Moving Coil cartridges is very low, compared to a Moving Magnet one it is about 10 times lower, which means, you need a special phono amplifier. A higher gain is needed to utilise the signals, which can result in a higher noise level and distortion.
The Pro-Ject MC Step Up Box DS3 B works very differently compared to a phono preamplifier. The windings ratio of the transformer determines the gain factor. As it works completely passive and no external power is needed, no extra power can be produced.
The increase in voltage is achieved by a coresponding decrease is current. As there is no amplification, the MC Step Up Box DS3 B has a remarkable noise performance and a very low level of distortion. The sound with a Step-Up Transformer will be more lively, dynamic and natural.
Lundahl LL 1678 - Balanced In/Out
For the MC Step Up Box DS3 B Pro-Ject have used high quality Lundahl LL 1678 audio transformers to ensure every detail remains. You can set the transformer ratio (gain) with a push of a button either on 24dB or 30dB.. Use the single-ended RCA, or go balanced with the XLR in- and outputs and benefit from a low noise interference free signal transmission. Switch the in- and outputs via the push buttons on the front.
- Lundahl LL1678 high quality audio transformer
- Balanced in- and outputs
- Fully passive signal path without power supply
- Selectable transformer ratio 24 / 30dB
- Superior sound quality
- Transformer with mu metal shielding
- Dual mono design principle
- Low noise
- Highest channel separation
- Gold plated RCA terminals
- Solid aluminium casing protects against interference
- Frequency Response: 10Hz - 55kHz +/- 1dB
- Recommended Load: 47 kOhm / 100pF
- Input MC: 1x pair RCA phono sockets, XLR
- Output: 1x pair RCA phono sockets, XLR
- Dimensions: 206 x 79 x 197 (209 with sockets) mm
- Weight: 1740g