The output level of Moving Coil cartridges is very low, compared to a Moving Magnet one it is about 10x times lower, which means, you need a special phono amplifier. A higher gain is needed to utilise the signals, which can result in a higher noise level and distortion. The MC Step Up Box S3 is the solution.
The Pro-Ject MC Step Up Box S3 works very differently compared to a phono preamplifier. The windings ratio of the transformer determines the gain factor. As it works completely passive and no external power is needed, no extra power can be produced. The increase in voltage is achieved by a coresponding decrease is current.
As there is no amplification, the MC Step Up Box S3 has a remarkable noise performance and a very low level of distortion. The sound with a Step-Up Transformer will be more lively, dynamic and natural.
- Sound upgrade for your MC cartridge
- Fully passive signal path without power supply
- Superior sound quality
- 1:16 transformer ratio
- Transformer with metal shielding
- Input impedance matching 10 or 100 Ohms
- Dual mono design principle
- Highest channel separation
- Gold plated RCA terminals
- Solid aluminium casing protects against interference
- Frequency Response: 10Hz - 55kHz +/- 1dB
- Gain at 10-40 Ohm: 21dB at 1kHz
- Gain at 40-150 Ohm: 24dB at 1kHz
- Recommended Load: 47 kOhm / 100pF
- Input MC: 1x pair RCA phono sockets
- Output: 1x pair RCA phono sockets
- Dimensions: 206 x 65 x 153 (164 with sockets) mm
- Weight: 940g