The Pro-Ject X8 turntable is a true high-end solution with major technical features adapted from the Xtension 9 and 10. For the new sensationally low price you get the heavy, TPE damped mass-loaded platter, which is precision lathed and balanced out of a single piece of aluminium.
It is supported by a neodymium magnet which decreases the load on the bearing. Considering the massively heavy platter, this leads to a smoothly rotating base for your vinyls and perfect speed stability.
The massive MDF chassis and the top of the line ProJect 9cc EVO carbon tonearm have been ported over to the X8 as well.
The major differences to the Xtension 9 and 10 are found in the top of the main platter and the magnetic feet. Instead of the glued-on vinyl top on the platter Pro-Ject went back to the use of slip mats.
On the Xtension 9 and 10 you cannot really play around with using different mats due to the vinyl top.
This customisability comes back on the X8 and offers a few more options to tailor the sound to your liking.
The new feet are still made out of aluminium and are still height-adjustable.
The magnetic suspension has been changed to a TPE damped technology, which is very effective in decoupling the X8 from the surface it is placed on.
This is a great choice for a more budget orientated turntable as the new feet are faster and easier to set up than magnetic feet and also require less maintenance.
What‘s True Balanced?
The X8 comes with a 5pin output jack and with the standard semi-balanced Connect it E 5P -> RCA cable.
By upgrading it to Pro-Ject's fully balanced 5P to XLR version (available separately) and using a balanced phono stage, like the Phono Box DS3 B or any of Pro-Ject's RS/RS2 phono stages, you are fully set-up for the True Balanced experience.
This leads to increased dynamics, less noise and improved signal to noise ratios. You can imagine it like hearing parts of your music that literally were not there before.
- Speed: 33 / 45 rpm (electronic speed change)
- Included phono cable: Connect it E 5P -> RCA, 1.23m
- Aluminium feet: Height adjustable & TPE damped
- Platter: massive 5,1 kg lathed aluminium
- Platter bearing: inverted ceramic ball, magnetic support
- Speed drift: 33: ±0,11%; 45: ± 0,09%
- Wow & flutter: 33: ±0,11%; 45: ± 0,10%
- Rumble: 73dB
- Tonearm: 9“ one-piece carbon-fibre tonearm
- Effective arm length / mass: 9“ (230 mm) / 8,5 g
- Overhang: 18 mm
- Incl. accessories: Dust cover, 7“ single adapter, felt mat
- Power supply: 15V / 0,8A DC
- Power consumption: 5W / 0,3 W standby mode
- Dimensions lid closed: 465 x 150 x 350 mm (W x H x D)
- Dimensions lid opened: 465 x 415 x 420 mm (W x H x D)
- Weight: 15kg