The X1 B is the latest version of Pro-Ject’s original record player, still in the range after more than 25 years. The X1 B is a cutting-edge turntable that brings high-end analogue technologies to a more affordable price-point. This beautiful turntable now also features a fully balanced mini XLR output, which offers you a symmetrical connection to our new Phono Box S3 B or Phono Box DS3 B.
Why True Balanced?
Balanced audio connections are usually known from the professional sector like recording studios or live concerts. It is very important to have a stable & interference free connection, as these signals, especially microphone signals, will be highly amplified.
The same applies to the connection from your turntable to the phono preamplifier. The big advantage of a balanced connection is its ability to remove picked up noise and interferences.
Balanced connections use 3 wires for one channel: ground, a hot and a cold wire. The cold wire carries the inverted (reversed in polarity) hot signal. At the receiving end, the cold signal is flipped and added together. The trick happens here: If the cable picks up any noise, the noise is added to both signals. So, a positive interference is a positive tick on the hot and on the cold signal.
If you now flip one of them, the interference is also inverted, so you get the same interference once in a positive and once in a negative direction. If you now add these two signals, the noise will cancel out.
High-End Tonearm Cartridge
The Pro-Ject X1 B uses an 8.6“ carbon/aluminium tonearm. The carbon layer gives the tonearm a high degree of rigidity, while the inner aluminium tube takes over the damping of the tonearm. The ultra-low friction 4 pin point tonearm bearing guarantees a precise, stable and accurate tracking.
The one-piece design avoids vibrations caused by detachable headshells. The higher mass makes the tonearm an excellent fit for low and moderate compliance MC cartridges. The TPE damped counterweight reduces arm-cartridge resonances by as much as 50%. The X1 B is packaged to suit anyone who cares about how their vinyl sounds. Therefore, it is comes with a high quality pre-adjusted Ortofon S2 MM cartridge.
The full aluminium tonearm base offer you real audiophile features. It allows you to adjust both the azimuth and the vertical tracking angle (VTA). The tonearm height can be continuously adjusted by loosening the two grub screws. These settings give you the option of adapting the tonearm to height changes, allowing the use of different turntable mats or other cartridges to always achieve the best sound quality.
Setting and experimenting with the VTA Azimuth is crucial in extracting every last bit of performance out of your cartridges.
Mini XLR & RCA Output
The X1 B comes with Pro-Ject's high-quality Connect it E cable. It is a semi-balanced, low-capacitance cable, with superior shielding. In order to be able to use the advantages of the balanced signal transmission, you need one of Pro-Ject's new balanced phono cables.
We offer a wide range of balanced phono cables with different connectors to fit all our phono preamps. If you want to use your X1 B with a Phono Box S3 B you need a "Connect it Phono Mini XLR / Mini XLR".
Important: To use the True balanced connection to your phono preamp, your X1 B needs to be upgraded with an MC cartridge.
Pro-Ject X1 B - Product Features
- NEW "True Balanced Connection" by Pro-Ject
- NEW RCA phono & 5-pin mini XLR output
- NEW Phono Box S3 B & DS3 B - a perfect balanced match!
- Pre-adjusted Ortofon Pick it S2 MM cartridge*
- Speed control with electronic speed switch
- Carefully isolated motor for less vibration and noise
- Sub-platter with low 0.001mm bearing tolerances
- Stainless steel platter-bearing with soft brass bushing and teflon mirrors for lowest rumble and noise
- Resonance free, 1.5 kg heavy acryl platter
- 8.6” carbon/alu tonearm with best internal damping
- TPE damped counterweight
- Kardan ultra-low friction 4 pin point tonearm bearing
- Massive and heavy, precision CNC‘d MDF chassis
- Luxury 8 layers of painting or real-wood veneer
- Shielded, semi-symmetrical, low-capacitance cables
- Height adjustable, aluminium feet
- Speed: 33, 45, 78 (electronic speed change)
- Principle: Belt Drive
- Speed Variance: 33: 0.30% 45: 0.25%
- Wow & Flutter: 33: 0.15% 45: 0.13%
- Platter: 20mm thick, 1.5 kg heavy acryl
- Main Bearing: Stainless Steel/Brass
- Tonearm: 8.6” Carbon/Aluminium Sandwich
- Effective Arm Length: 218.5 mm
- Overhang: 18 mm
- Effective Tonearm Mass: 10.0g
- Tracking Force Range: 0 - 30mN (S2MM 18mN recommended)
- Power Consumption: 5.0 Watts Max / 0.3 Watt Standby
- Dimensions: 415 x 125 x 335 mm (WxHxD)
- Weight: 7 kg