The Ortofon Quintet Black S Moving Coil Turntable Cartridge is graced with a Nude Shibata diamond, considered one of the best stylus profiles available, mounted on a high-performance Sapphire cantilever.
The Shibata’s slim, highly polished profile allows an exceedingly wide contact area to the walls of the groove and ensures detailed and pure reproduction throughout the spectrum, including even the most high frequency groove information.
The New Sapphire Cantilever Solution
Multiple studies show that demand for strategic natural resources continues to increase. New technologies use ever-increasing amounts of rare and strategic resources. Understandable that this increasing demand may complicate future supply.
Over the decades, there has been an increase in the use of Boron. Elemental Boron is mostly used in high tech applications. One of Boron's benefits for our modern technology is its use in neodymium magnets, which are an alloy of neodymium, iron and boron.
Boron has also been applied in manufacturing of phono cartridges: Boron cantilevers are strong, stiff, light and 100% inert. From all possible options Boron cantilever is the best, but unfortunately extremely difficult to obtain.
Ease of Use
Top-mounting of the Quintet cartridges is easy and secure using the screws supplied. The aluminuim frame has threaded mounting holes and is fitted easily with the 5mm or 7mm screws depending on the thickness of the headshell.
The Quintet series’ right angles, straight lines, stylus visibility and ample distance between the record surface and the cartridge’s bottom will make it easy to mount and align the cartridge and tonearm correctly. The Quintet Series gives excellent results with most common tonearms.
Included in the Package:
MC Quintet Mono accessories Included
- 1 x Stylus brush
- 1 x Screwdriver
- 1 x Stylus pressure gauge/Scale
- 2 x Screw M2.5 x 5
Each of the five Quintet Series cartridges has its own individual sonic expression, and all five models together represent the ensemble of five classic variations:
- MC Quintet Mono is a true mono cartridge for playing mono microgroove vinyl records
- MC Quintet Red is an all-purpose cartridge that delivers open, dynamic sound with a slight touch of warmth
- MC Quintet Blue adds more dynamics and resolution, sounds more open and reproduces more details
- MC Quintet Bronze adds even more details and resolution but in a very evenhanded way that pays respect to all elements
- MC Quintet Black S is the best of everything, true to the groove with resolution and accurate insight into each recording
- Output Voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec: 0.3 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz: < 1.0 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz: > 23 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz: > 15 dB
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 2.0 dB
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force: 80 µm
- Compliance, Dynamic, Lateral: 15 µm/mN
- Stylus Type: Nude Shibata on Sapphire cantilever
- Stylus Tip Radius: r/R 6/50 µm
- Tracking Force Range: 2.1-2.5 g (21-25 mN)
- Tracking Force, Recommended: 2.3 g (23 mN)
- Tracking Angle: 20°
- Internal Impedance, DC Resistance: 5 Ohm
- Recommended Load Resistance: > 20 Ohm
- Cartridge Body Material: ABS/Aluminium
- Coil Wire Material: Aucurum
- Cartridge Colour, Body/Stylus: Black
- Cartridge Weight: 9 g